Friday, October 21, 2005

This morning I decided to take a look at a few entries of Illustration Friday. To my surprise I had another comment on my latest entry - Cold. TAGGED!!! by Toni Kelly.
First reaction- Home Alone! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Actually, It wasnt that bad. Maybe I shouldn't say that to loud. I hear that you can get tagged more than once. Ssssh!!!!




1. Born Dec. 29 in 19**– yes, a X-mas baby.

2. I’m the eldest of four – three of us girls and my brother.

3. Both of my parents were born in the capital of Haiti – I guess that makes me Haitian American. People are always shocked when I tell them this- I have no clue why. Maybe, it has to do with the fact they have so many stereotypes of what a Haitian or a typical Haitian American looks like.

4. My first drawing was a portrait of President George Washington- that’s when my 4th grade teacher told my mother that I had something – talent.

5. I always excelled in school academically but I always felt like I never belonged.

6. I have always been labeled a very "old soul" at a young age – truth is I always felt deep inside that I’ve walked this earth several times before. This made me feel that I didn’t have time for childish play – it was always serious business.

7. When I was in 7th grade I remembered my art teacher Mrs. Lane pushing me to believe that I could take my talents and be something big. I never believed in myself until I won honorable mention for Teen Arts Festival for a portrait I entitled “The Gardner”

8. I sold that painting for only $45 – to our school janitor. He said the portrait reminded him of his father who passed away a couple of years prior. I couldn’t see to part w/ the painting but, his eyes made me connect to the weight of his heart, which weighed more than my attachment

9. Shortly thereafter, Ms. Lane entered me into a competition that would have me competing against talented artist from all over the world. The competition brought a chance to study with contemporary artists for a summer. Out of thousands of artists – I was selected!

10. That summer changed my life forever – I learn to be free and not focus too much of how others perceived me. Live Life the best way you know how!!!

11. Mrs. Mertens my 9th grade art teacher gave me the basics 101 of Life -She taught us how to be dependant – Be an entrepreneur. I remember painting characters on T-shirts and selling them in the Ice Cream store I worked in that summer.

12. I won another honorable mention in The Washington Caucus Art Show where I painting a clown that was portrayed in puzzle pieces. Truth is - I had a deep fear of clowns and anyone dressed up as a character w/face paint.

13. I was very shy but I became very outspoken, as I got older. I blame that on my parents divorce and the major move from Brooklyn New York to Asbury Park NJ-that changed our lives and my concept of what family was all about.

14. I went to Rutgers University Mason Gross School of the Arts to study Illustration only to get the known RU Screw stamped on my forehead – only to find out that the concentration I was going to focus on was changed to Graphic Design.

15. College suffocated my passion for art but maternity leave gave me a revelation - I needed art to fuel me more than ever.

16. I once worked for Tommy Hillfiger the designer as an Intern and sometimes I think - was it the right decision to leave that internship? I realized soon after that I hate everything corporate because I can see people for what they are -than for what masks they wear for others to see.

17. I took a quick break to tuck in my first born- great - peace and quiet. Let me throw on some jazz- I’m escaping right now …. Thinking- … Married seven years to my college sweetheart. Funny how you love someone. When you begin to think of where life has taken us, you see the laughter and good times you shared about 13 years worth of ups and downs with my hubby. But a smile comes over me – because I know I wouldn’t trade it in for the world.

18. If I had all the money in the world – I know it’s corny but, I am that person that would search how and low finding people to lend a helping hand to those who needed it most. My only request is that I remain anonymous- Why? When I give of my heart I don’t need to keep tabs of the good I do. I just want people to have the same opportunities available to me. I think this world would be a much better place if we shared more of ourselves.

19. What you see is what you get- that’s my motto. If I don’t like you - my facial expression will give it away.

20. My last fact is a secret – I have always had a deep desire to be famous. The closest I can come to that fame is to get published. I have no clue which avenue to take –maybe newspapers, greeting card – I don’t know. But, I do know that I want to be on Oprah one day telling her about my journey and she telling the world to pay attention to this rising star.



Alright that's all I have for now!!!! Tune in for more illustrations. I'm working on this week's Illustration Friday - Remote. As far as tagging someone else- I'm going to take a raincheck right now. I'm drawing a blank. But Beware - You might be next for a round of TAG!!!!

3 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yea how nice to read about you.
Oh wow you are the same age as my boys.
how wonderful to read you won those art competitions while in school.
Perhaps greeting cards will be an avenue for you.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remove your birthdate from this post. Prevent identity fraud. Just a tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home