Monday, March 05, 2007


Illustration Friday _ Hide

About a month ago, I had attended a children's book fair in Philadelphia, PA. For the short time I was there I was inspired to really come to grips with a lot of thoughts of where I wanted to take my career as an artist. I found myself thumbing through beautiful books and than I found a wonderful book called, "Moses" written by Carole Boston Weatherford and illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators Kadir Nelson. My illustration does not do any justice compared to how he beautifully illustrated the story of Harriet Tubman. But, it really inspired me to really take my illustrations to another level.

There was a part of the book where Harriet becomes very tired from the long trip to cross free territory as a runaway slave. While Harriet gains strength she begins to hear God speak to her. She hears that patrollers are grabbing runaway slaves so she hides in a potato hole. She prays to God asking, ...
"... Have you deserted me, Lord? Harriet, when you were a girl, you hid in a pigpen to shun the whip. You fought hogs for table scraps, almost starved before you faced the lash. I am with you now as I was then. ... Lord, make me strong, Help me fight.

... After seven days, Harriet rises from that hole like a sapling, reaches for the sun as if to touch God's hand. By moonlight, she marches on, making her way mile after rugged mile, hiding in haystacks, attics, and barns, holding God's hand all the while. She often wearies. How far, Lord? As far as you can walk with me, my child, and I can carry you. ..."



4 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger studio lolo said...

Very nice!! I like that you included a part of the story.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger LDahl said...

You're back! Happy dance:)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Cool illo.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Wilnara, so glad to see you posting again. What a wonderful story on the subject of hide. My best to you on taking the step forward to freelance. I know you can do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home