Monday, January 02, 2006


Illustration Friday - Flavor

My mother always has a way of making you forget the world with the savory taste of her good cooking. My dad could make you envision you were living in Haiti all your life. Since both Mom and Dad were born and raised in Haiti, we were fortunate to have an advantage as children. We were rich with the flavor of another culture. Flavor is about the smell of mom's cooking and dad playing some calypso in the background. Sundays were always the best since that was a feast day for us; rice and peas, grio, maybe some plaintains, fried dumpling... hmmm mmm... My mouth just waters thinking about it.

It brings me to the day I got married. My mother's greatest gift to me that day was laboring over the stove for days to create a wonderful display of Haitian cooking. I see the table now like it was yesterday. I can smell the house and the flavor of all that food. I hear the the Haitian music playing and the laughter of family. I see the colors and the art of Haiti. Flavor will always be about the richness of life that my parents had growing up and we being able to get just a taste of the beauty of Haiti. Thank God for Mom and Dad!


13 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger valerie walsh said...

Hi Wilnara! I just love these illos and what you have to say!"We were rich with the flavor of another culture" is as beautiful as your work!!! very, very nice!!!!

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Anonymous said...

Agree your richness in flavours show in your work!

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Zórdís said...

Flavour of memory is often the best spice of all. You are so lucky to have so colourful memories. Nice illo and fits for the ocation. Happy New Year!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger carla said...

Wilnara - what a great and touching story! I love the two illustrations...what a contrast! The bottom one has all those bright colors and feeling of celebration that I've seen in Haitian art. I also took a look at your pieces below...you have such a wonderful, personal style - I love the faces - realistic but a bit stylized too. Happy Birthday & Happy New Year to you:>

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

fun illo!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Todd DeWolf said...

Oh agree-that is a great culture to be part of and fantastic food too. Wonderful tribute to your family and heritage. well done.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I almost missed this and not sure how.
What a wonderful story and the drawings are fabulous!!
How blessed you are to have such a rich culture and heritage.

And Happy belated Birthday!!! Hope you had some fun.
hugs

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love rice with peas,fried dumplings and the flavor of plaintains in all its facets. We cook that here too,..yummy!
Thank you for sharing this with us, it was lovely to see and read this.
-Marjorie Ann

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Wilnara and Happy Belated Birthday!

You told the story of your parents and culture so beautifully... my mouth was watering. I have never experienced Haitian food... the closest I've had would be Cuban (while visiting Key West)... plaintains and yucca and delicious chicken... so flavourful compared to what we normally have up here in Michigan. Every now and then a craving takes me so strongly for Caribean food I could go mad!
Also, have you ever noticed that you could have your Mother's recipes, copy them ingredient for ingredient, yet they are never as good as your Mom's?! (my mother tells me it's because of the most important ingredient she added: LOVE!)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Tony Sarrecchia said...

My mouth was watering just reading your story. Great story and illo.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Wilnara said...

Thank You for the compliments and feedback - everyone. It really means the world to me, I cant really gather the words of appreciation to show you all how much I love all your wonderful comments.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger LDahl said...

When I come here I do feel like I'm visiting your home:) AND you always make me feel welcome!
I would have enjoyed your feast, I think I love your mom:)!
Thank you Wilnara's mom for giving us Wilnara.
Again, Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sis, its your little brother but "big brother" vitamin D. I love the new pic. I hope I'm next on your site. Love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home