Monday, May 15, 2006

ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY - Angels and Devils

Hope everyone's Mother's Day went well!!!! It was at a Mother's and Gradmother's tea I came up with an idea of for this weeks challenge. The interesting thing is that I dont know why I created the illustration and what exactly it means. But, I was having a wonderful conversations with one of the mother's from my eldest school and we began to discuss the world we live in.

As if that isn't a hefty enough conversation but, the focus was how the world has lost value and ethics through the years. I dont want to bore you with the details but, I grew up in a home that "the village raises a child". Today it's seems like every man is for themselves. But this woman hit home when she said to me - it's how we interpret things.

She went on to say if we give the devil a pedestal than it will look like he holds all the power. But, if we put him down and keep him small than it can never appear like he has all the control. So when I got home I began to sketch bits and pieces of angels in all sorts of arrangements and for some reason this interpertation stayed with me. Let me know your thoughts to what this illustration is trying to convey. Also, thanks everyone for your wonderful support and comments this past week!!!!! You guys are truly beautiful!!!!

9 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Lee said...

that's really beautiful, I love the way the sky frames them!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

lovely illo!

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Willie Baronet said...

It is all in how we see things. Nice. :-)

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My heart goes out to the figure in the lower left corner.
For some reason my eye keeps going to her.
Would love to hear your take on it Wilnara.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Wilnara said...

Hey there Toni,
Originally when I began sketching out the piece I wanted to somehow represent "evil" in some form. But, what I realized as the drawing evolve the figure in the corner began to represent more "negativity" than anything. The figure stands for those who feel that they are not deserving of "light". There are those who carry their "Scarlet Letter" shamefully and those who dont let that obstacle get in there way of their sunshine! :-)

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

Beautifully designed and executed...a powerful illustration.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger carla said...

This is really strong! The contrast between the radiant angel and the destitute figure on the bottom left is very striking! I love the softness of the clouds and the bright light at the top. Verynice!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Susan Schwake said...

a great great illustration. the power of the standing angel just radiates!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

You rock! This is an awesome piece!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home